Archibald R. Adamson was born in Scotland and came to North Platte in 1881. He was author of the book "North Platte and Its Associations", which was published in 1910 by The Evening Telegraph, and "Rambles through the land of Burns" published in 1879 by Kilmarnock, Dunlop & Drennan. Archibald Adamson died in 1922.
John A. Foster was born in the East Indies in 1836, he served in the British Army in the Crimean War (1854 - 1856), and the US Army serving in the 16th New York Provisional Cavalry in the American Civil War (1861 - 1865), and in the Indian Wars, which covered the period between 1854 and 1900. He was a musician, who played the cornet at the inauguration and funeral services of President Lincoln. Civil War records at indicate that he enlisted on 29 April 1863 at Oswego, NY, that he was a musician, and he was 26 at the time of enlistment. He was promoted to Full Private, Served New York, and was transferred to A Company, 3rd Provisional Cavalry Regiment New York. He mustered out at Camp Barry, Washington, DC on 21 September 1865.
J.F.E. KRAMPH - enlisted in C Company, 93rd Inf Regiment of Pennsylvania on 11 September 1862, as a Sergeant. He completed his military service in 1865 while stationed at Fort McPherson, and was discharged on 20 June 1865. He chose to remain in Lincoln County, and in January 1870, along with his wife Mary, he opened a dry goods store in North Platte. In 1872 he and his wife bought a section of land east of North Plate, but he died on December 12, 1872, five months before the birth of his daughter Annie.
Annie Kramph was born in North Platte on April 21, 1873, daughter of J.F.E Kramph and Mary Eddy (Hubbard) Kramph. She was educated at North Platte High School (1888 - 1892), and a member of the third graduating class. In the 1890 Business Gazetteer, there is a listing of Miss Annie Kramph, florist. From 1893 - 1894 she was the general utility clerk with the North Platte Tribune, in 1895 the clerk in the office of Assistant Superintendent of the Union Pacific Railroad, then starting in 1896, with the First National Bank of North Platte as a clerk, auditor and later assistant cashier. She was a member of the North Platte City Library Board, Nebraska Library Commission, Nebraska State and American Bankers Associations, and the Chamber of Commerce. She was named Nebraskaís Pioneer Women of the Year in 1958. She died at the age of 86 on October 7, 1959.
Morrel Case Keith was honored by having Keith County named after him. The County was organized in July 1873. In 1880, Keith County was one of the greatest stock Counties in the State, "annually shiping thousands of fat cattle to the Eastern markets". Morrel Keith was also the grandfather of Keith Neville, Governor of Nebraska.
Dr. Voorhees Lucas was an 1895 graduate of the University of Nebraska. He practiced medicine in North Platte until 1909, then went to Vienna and took a specialized course in treatment of the ear, nose and throat. He had an advertisement in the 1917 Nebraska Business Gazetteer, and is listed as an M.D. specializing in the eye, ear, nose and throat.
Col. Josiah B. Park was born on April 1, 1831. In 1861, he was living in Michigan, and he enlistment in the 4th Michigan Cavalry. Josiah B Park claimed residence in Ovid, Michigan at the time of his enlistment. He enlisted on 22 August 1861, was 31, and had the rank of Captain. He was promoted to Full Major on 14 August 1862, as a member of the 4th Michigan Cavalvry, and promoted to Lt. Colonel on 18 February 1863. He resigned and received a discharge disability on 26 November 1864. He came to Omaha in 1866, where he procured surveying contracts from the government. In Dundy County, the post office that originally was called Ives, was changed to the name "Parks" on December 19, 1888. The town was probably named in honor of Colonel J.B. Park, with the 's' added because there was another Park post office in the state.
The first permanent newspaper established in Lincoln County was in 1869, when Mrs. Maggie Eberhart established the Platte Valley Independent. She sold the newspaper to Col. J. B. Park and Guy C. Barton, who continued its publication under the anthem of the Lincoln County Advertiser. In 1872, Prof. I. W. La Munyon purchased the paper continuing it as the Advertiser.
William S. Penniston was born in England in 1834. He came to this country, and lived in Dawson County prior to moving to Lincoln County where North Platte is now located. The first permanent settlements in Lincoln County were made in 1859, by Messrs. D. L. Smith, W. S. Penniston, Thomas French, Patrick Mullaly, J. P. Boyer, A. J. Miller and others, who located along the Platte, on the overland road. The first building on the town site was put up in 1866, by Messrs. Penniston & Miller, who stocked it with goods to sell to the crowds who were flocking to the then terminus of the railroad.
Robert Rowland was involved with the construction of Fort Cottonwood (later known as Fort McPherson). On September 18, 1863, orders were issued by the Department of Nebraska (U.S. Army) directing a detachment of Company G, Seventh Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, to proceed to Cottonwood Springs and there erect a fort. Robert Rowland was one who hauled freight to Cottonwood Springs during this early construction of the fort. Rowland was married in 1868, and he moved to North Platte. His home in North Platte was constructed from cedar logs, and is now located at the Lincoln County Historical Society Museum.
[ Home Page ] [ What's Available] [Cemetery Records] [Online Databases] [Queries] [Surnames] [History] [Lookups by Volunteers] [Place Names] [Published Sources] [Stories of Individuals] [Lincoln County People] [Maps] [Contact Coordinator ]
Copyright © 1998-2006, Gary Martens, All Rights Reserved