Place Names
Home
logo
What's Available
Cemetery Records

The community classification and 1990 populations are from the US Bureau of the Census. Additional population information from other US Census extractions. Place name and other historic information from Perkey's Nebraska Place Names, by Elton A. Perkey, Copyright 1995, Nebraska State Historical Society, Published by J & L Lee Company, and from the Nebraska State Gazetteer, Business Directory and Farmer list for 1890-1891, published in 1890 by J. M. Wolfe & Co., Publishers, 509-510 Paxton Block, Omaha, Nebraska.

Brady - Village, Zip Code: 69123; Population - (1890): 25, (1895): 468, (1917): 400, (1940): 450, (1990): 331.
Name changed May 4, 1894. Originally Brady Island, the post office was established December 21, 1875. Named for a Mr. Brady, the first settler. Click here for the History of Brady.

Dickens - Village, Zip Code: 69132, Population (1990): 16, (1917): 150
Post office established on March 20, 1888. Town named in honor of Charles Dickens, the noted English author. Dickens is located on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad 10 miles east of Wallace. Click here for the History of Dickens.

Hershey - Village, Zip Code: 69143, Population (1990): 579, (1917): 380
Peak population (1980): 633. Post office name changed from O'Fallons on Jannary 14, 1890. Town named in honor of J. H. Hershey, early rancher, land owner, and business partner of William Paxton. Click here for the History of Hershey.

Maxwell - Village, Zip Code: 69151, Population (1990): 285, (1917): 300
Peak population (1940): 480. Post office name changed from McPherson on May 15, 1882. Town's name said to be a variation of 'Mac's well,' kept by John 'Mac' McCullough at Fort McPherson. In the early 1890's, about 70 people, mainly farmers, received their mail there. Click here for the History of Maxwell.

North Platte - City, Zip Code: 69101, Population (1990): 22605, (1880) 2000, (1895) 3055,
Peak population (1980): 24,479. Post office established February 13, 1867. The county seat was laid out for the Union Pacific Railroad by Gen. G.M. Dodge in 1866. The county seat records were transferred from Cottonwood Springs on November 12, 1867. Click here for the History of North Platte.

Sutherland - Village, Population (1990): 1032, Zip Code: 69165
Peak population (1980): 1,218. Post office established March 9, 1892. Town named for a Mr. Sutherland, Union Pacific Railroad official. Click here for the History of Sutherland.

Wallace - Village, Zip Code: 69169, Population - (1890): 300, (1910): 406(peak), (1990): 308
Post office established December 20, 1887. The Lincoln Land Company laid out the town, and the company's manager named the town in honor of his son-in-law. Click here for the History of Wallace.

Wellfleet - Village, Zip Code: 69170, Population (1990): 63
Peak population (1950): 110. Post office established September 6, 1887. Town named for Wellfleet, Massachusetts. Wellfleet is located about 30 miles south of North Platte, and was a livestock shipping point in the 1890's. Click here for the History of Wellfleet


Arna - Post office established June 26,1905; discontinued March 15, 1912. Former village derives its name from a village in the Grecian archipelago.

Bignell - Census not available. Post office established January 8, 1908 and discontinued 1984. Named in honor of E. C. Bignell of Lincoln, superintendent of the Burlington Railroad. Bignell was located 8 miles southwest of Maxwell on the Union Pacific Railway.

Birdwood - Post office established April 8,1888 and discontinued May 18, 1896. Named for nearby Birdwood Creek along which grew birdwood or indigo shrubs. Birdwood was located 6 miles west of North Platte on the Union Pacific Railway.

Bratts - A flag station on the Union Pacific Railway, five miles west of North Platte.

Buchanan - Post office established January 11, 1886 and discontinued March 21, 1908. Named in honor of Butler Buchanan, the first postmaster. His name was listed as O.H.P. Buchanan in the 1890 Gazetteer, and he was also the justice in Buchanan. Buchanan was located 30 miles south of North Platte.

Bumbani - Post office established August 4,1885 and discontinued April 26, 1887. Probably named in honor of Leavitt Bumbam of Omaha, land commissioner of the Union Pacific Railroad.

Camp Sergeant - A small military outpost at North Platte, established during the construction of the Union Pacific Railroad to protect rail line stations and workers from the Indians.

Cold Springs - Nebraska Pony Express Station No. 22 in Nebraska. Located on Box Elder Creek two miles south and one mile west of the present city of North Platte.

Cottonwood - Post office established April 17, 1860. The name changed to Cottonwood Falls October 19, 1860. Named for area cottonwood trees.

Cottonwood Falls - Post office name changed from Cottonwood October 19, 1860. The name changed to Cottonwood Springs on January 8, 1861.

Cottonwood Springs - Population (1880): 65, (1895) 18
Nebraska Pony Express Station No. 21, located on the east side of Cottonwood Creek. It was one mile southeast of present Fort McPherson National Cemetery. Sometimes known as the McDonald Ranch, it also served as an overland stage station. Two brothers, Ike and Nelson Buyer, operated a trading post here in 1858. Post office name changed from Cottonwood Falls on January 8, 1861, and was discontinued April 11, 1895. First county records were kept at Cottonwood Springs, which served as county seat until the Union Pacific Railroad and the town of North Platte were established. Records were transferred to North Platte November 12, 1867.

Dansey's - Nebraska Pony Express Station No.24. Located two miles south and four miles west of the present town of Sutherland. Sometimes called Elkhorn or Halfway Rouse.

Delay - Post office established January 11, 1886, and discontinued December 16, 1886. Named in honor of John Delay, the first postmaster.

Denmark - Post office established December 7, 1900 and discontinued March 15, 1912. This former community was settled chiefly by Danish immigrants and named for their native country. Denmark was located 18 miles north of Curtis on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad.

Dexter Station on the Union Pacific Railroad 5 miles west of Sutherland.

Echo - Post office established April 30, 1895 and discontinued July 9, 1908. Name probably selected because it was a short, pleasant word.

Elizabeth - Post office established May 13, 1887 and discontinued March 17, 1899. The origin of the name is unknown. Elizabeth was located 18 miles from North Platte.

Eureka - Post office established July 8, 1873 and discontinued October 26, 1874. A Greek name meaning "I have found it."

Fairview - Population (1880): 20. Post office established September 10, 1885 and discontinued June 19, 1908. The name is locally descriptive.

Forks - Post office established September 9, 1901, and moved to McPherson County on August 11, 1908. Named because of its location is a fork of East and West Birchwood Creek.

Fort Cottonwood - Originally named Fort MeKean in 1863, this military post became Fort Cottonwood in May 1864. Two years later its name was changed to Fort McPherson.

Fort McKean - Military post established in 1863 and named in honor of Maj. Thomas J. McKean. Sometimes known as Cantonment McKean.

Fort McPherson - See the history of Fort McPherson in the History section.
Post office established April 15, 1878 and discontinued January 31, 1884.

Fremont Springs - Nebraska Pony Express Station No.23, located 1.5 miles from the present town of Hershey. Sometimes referred to as Buffalo Ranch, it was named for Gen. John C. Fremont.

Gannett - Former train station named in honor of Joseph W. Gannett of Omaha, auditor of the Union Pacific Railroad. Gannett was located on the Union Pacific Railway 6 milers southeast of North Platte.

Garfield - Population (1880): 30.   Population (1890): 30.
Post office established June 13,1884 and discontinued October 14, 1916. Probably commemorates President James Garfield. Garfield was located 13 miles southwest of Arnold on the Union Pacific Railway. After the post office was discontinued, mail was from the Gandy post office.

Gaslin - Post office established February 17, 1881 and discontinued June 14, 1890. Named in honor of Judge William Gaslin, noted Western jurist. Gaslin was located in the eastern part of Lincoln County, 13 miles southeast of North Platte, and about six miles from Brady Island.

Gilmans - Nebraska Pony Express Station No.19, located in southwest Lincoln County.

Glenburnie - A station on the Union Pacific Railway, located 2 miles north of Sutherland.

Hatton - Post office established January 27, 1882. The name was changed to Vroman January 22, 1887. Origin of the name Hatton is unknown.

Hindrey - A flag station on the Union Pacific Railway, five miles west of Brady Island, and 4 miles southeast of Maxwell.

Ingham - Peak population (1950): 80. Post office established January 10, 1898 and discontinued 1953. Former village named for a Mr. Ingham, then traveling through the country. Ingham was located 6 miles northwest of Farnham on the Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad.

Josephine - Post office established April 30, 1908 and discontinued June 19, 1908. Origin of the name is not known.

Keeler - Population (1880): 25. Post office established December 16, 1884 and discontinued April 29, 1890. Probably named in honor of Elisha Keeler, the first postmaster.

Kilmer - Post office established September 3,1884 and discontinued September 15, 1915. Probably named in honor of Robert Kilmer, first postmaster. Kilmer was located in the northeastern part of Lincoln County, 20 miles northeast of Maxwell, and 10 miles southwest of Arnold on the Union Pacific Railroad.

Leslie - Post office established May 29, 1890 and discontinued January 27,1892. Origin of the name is not known.

Linn - Post office established February 8, 1908. Origin of the name is not known.

McPherson - Post office established December 31, 1867. The name was changed to Maxwell on May 15, 1882. Named for nearby Fort McPherson.

Medicine - Post office established January 8, 1883 and discontinued November 9, 1887. Named for nearby Medicine Creek.

Midway - Post office established May 19, 1865 and discontinued February 13, 1867. Probably named for its location in the county.

Myrtle - Peak population (1910): 110. Post office established August 27, 1886 and discontinued May 31, 1914. Former town named in honor of Myrtle Brink, a young lady who lived in the vicinity. It was located 12 miles southwest of Staplehurst on the Union Pacific Railway.

Napoleon - Post office established November 13, 1871 and discontinued Januarv 3, 1873. Probably named for Napoleon Bonaparte, renowned general and emporer of the French.

Nichols - Post office established February 8, 1884 and discontinued November 2, 1889. Former post office and railroad station named in honor of Peter J. Nichols, general superintendent of the Nebraska division of the Union Pacific Railroad. Nichols was located on the Union Pacific Railway, 3 miles east of Hershey.

Noark - A post office located 12 miles south of Tyron, and 20 miles northeast of Sutherland on the Union Pacific Railroad.

O'Fallons - Post office established December 6,1883. The name was changed to Hershey on January 14, 1890. This junction point on the Union Pacific Railroad received its name from a nearby bluff named for a hunter reportedly killed in the area, a man who sold liquor to Indians here, or for Benjamin O'Fallon of St. Louis.

O'Fallons - Post office established March 19, 1859 and discontinued April 9, 1864. A trading post and stage station just southwest of present Sutherland.

O'Fallon's Bluff - Post office established March 19, 1859 and discontinued April 9, 1864. A trading post and stage station just southwest of present Sutherland, this was considered one of the most formidable barriers on the trail. First postmaster was Isaac Hockaday. See O'Fallons.

Pawnee - Post office established March 24, 1854 and discontinued July 1, 1857. Site of this former post office later became a station on the Union Pacific Railroad that was called Pawnee. Named for the Pawnee Indians.

Peckham - Post office established March 2, 1881 and discontinued October 20, 1896. Mail served from Gothenburg. Named for only postmaster, Joshua Peckham. The building which housed the post office was built from timber from the barracks at discontinued Fort McPherson. Also acquired from the fort was the army post office letter box, which was donated by its owner, Mrs. Golda V. Peckham Sortie of Omaha, to the U.S. Post Office at its request. Later it was acquired by the Smithsonian Institution. Peckham was located 40 miles southeast of North Platte, and about four miles south of Hatton.

Seeley - Post office established July 29, 1892 and discontinued October 3, 1894. Probably named in honor of John S. Seeley, first postmaster.

Silas - Post office established March 16, 1886 and discontinued August 16, 1887. Named in honor of Silas Clark, first postmaster.

Somerset - Post office established December 9, 1887 and discontinued 1945. Former post office and station on the Cheyenne branch of the Burlington Railroad. Probably named for Somerset, Massachusetts. Somerset was in the southern part of Lincoln County, about 25 miles from North Platte.

Spannuth - Population (1880): 30.
Post office established February 11, 1885 and discontinued July 15, 1909. Named in honor of Fred C. Spannuth, first postmaster. Biographical information about Fred Spannuth can be found in the book 'Wild Horse Valley 1882-1982', privately published by the Spannuth Women's Club. Spannuth was located 30 miles east of North Platte.

Spear - Post office established May 25, 1909 and discontinued June 30, 1913. Probably named in honor of William T. Spear, first postmaster. History of the Village of Spear

Spuds - Post office established November 20, 1895 and discontinued June 17, 1902. Probably named for a harvested field of potatoes ("spuds").

Sunshine - Post office established January 11, 1886 and discontinued October 29, 1892. Named either for Sunshine Ranch or for the sunshiny weather when names were proposed.

Turner - Former station on the Union Pacific Railroad located near Dickens.

Van Wyck - Post office established August 18, 1886 and discontinued March 4, 1887. Possibly named in honor of United States Senator Charles H. Van Wyck (1881-87).

Vroman - Post office name changed from Hatton on January 22,1887 and discontinued January 28, 1903. Former post office and railroad station on the Union Pacific Railroad named for William A. Vroman, the postmaster, who also had a flour and feed business. Vroman was located in the eastern part of Lincoln County, 31 miles from North Platte.

Warren - Former station on the Union Pacific Railroad. Probably named for Union Gen. C. K Warren, who explored the Sand Hills in 1850's.

Watts - Population (1890): 100.  Post office established January 11, 1886 and discontinued January 16, 1908. Possibly named in honor of Samuel F. Watts of Stockville, a surveyor. Watts was in the central part of Lincoln County, about 15 miles south of North Platte.

Whittier - Post office established December 22, 1884 and discontinued January 7, 1900. Probably named in honor of John Greenleaf Whittier, the noted American poet. Whittier was located in the northeastern part of Lincoln County, 25 miles north of North Platte.

Willard - Post office established November 20, 1890; discontinued June 30, 1922. Origin of the name is not known. First postmaster was William A. Gregg.

Online Databases
Queries
Surnames
History
Lookups by Volunteers
Place Names
Published Sources
Stories of Individuals
Maps
Contact Coordinator

[Home ] [What's Available] [Cemetery Records] [Online Databases] [Queries] [Surnames] [History] [Lookups by Volunteers] [Place Names] [Published Sources] [Stories of Individuals] [Maps] [Contact Coordinator]