William R. Maloney was born in Jefferson, Iowa on September 18, 1883, the son of William Maloney and Hanora (Barrow) Maloney. He receiving his first schooling in Iowa, the attended the College of Mortuary Science at St. Louis, Missouri. He married Emma Dye on November 16, 1910 in Salina, Kansas. In 1898 he came to North Platte, working as a store clerk for 2 years, then brakeman for the Union Pacific Railroad for 2 years, a clerk in the C.A. Howe furniture store, then from 1907 to 1912 in the undertaking business of Howe & Maloney. From 1912 to 1930, he was manager of W.R. Maloney Company, and in 1930 became President of W.R. Maloney Company, Inc., owners of Maloney-Cox-Kuhns Funeral Home. He was director, organizer and Vice President of Platte Valley Public Power & Irrigation District, Vice President & Director of the First National Bank. In 1914 he was the director of the Mutual Benefit & Loan Association. He was director of the North Platte Cemetery Board, and chairman of that organization for 18 years. He was on the Nebraska advisory commission of the 1939 New York Worlds Fair. He served for 22 years as a member of the Nebraska state examining board of embalmers. In 1930 the Nebraska Federation of Retailers selected him as Master Merchant of Nebraska. In 1937 the National Funeral Directors Association named him as outstanding funeral director. He was on the Great Plains Hospital board, which built St. Mary’s Hospital in North Platte. Lake Maloney, located south of North Platte, is named in his honor.